Four members of a family and a house helper perished in a house inferno in Ormanie village, Mashuuru sub-county in Kajiado, on Thursday night.
The incident took place between 9.30 pm and 10.00 pm on Thursday, according to area Sub-County Police Commander, Ahmed Hillow.
Hillow said the house which caught fire was built with corrugated iron sheets on top and the sides.
“When the incident occurred, we rushed there only to find charred bodies of five people. We have not established the cause of the fire,” said Hillow.
The area police boss said he was only informed by the family spokesman that in the house were an elderly woman, three of her children and a maid.
“We also established that the man of the house is a businessman in Mashuuru town, who also received information of the fire much later,” said Hillow.
The police boss said the burnt house had a gas cylinder that did not burst in the inferno, a charcoal burner and the building was also connected with electric power.
”We have handed over the matter to investigators, who will include DCI and people from the Kenya Power and Lighting, to follow up the matter and tell us what could have caused the fire,” said Hillow.