Veronica Sarimoi, a resident of Duka Moja in Ildamat near Kajiado town, was established on Wednesday last week to have contracted COVID-19.
Sarimoi, who gave KNU express permission to publish her story, is a worried Kenyan and wants her story to reach the highest office in the county.
“I woke up on Monday last week and was feeling pain all over my body. I lost my sense of smell but was still able to walk around my house where I live with my daughter,” says Sarimoi.
The businesswoman, who lost her husband to natural causes three months ago, she called her friends and told them what she was experiencing.
She was advised to visit the nearest hospital for screening. On Friday the same week on July 17, she took a matatu, the only means of transport to Kajiado town.
At the hospital, she was guided to a screening centre at 11 am but was told a team of doctors would be coming later at 2 pm.
She waited and at 2 pm doctors arrived and took samples from her. She was later told to go home and isolate herself.
“The doctors, who I know so well, told me the results would take 48 hours and that I would be notified if I turn positive or negative,” said Sarimoi.
Sarimoi left the hospital on July 17 and took another matatu to her place at Duka Moja, along the Kajiado-Namanga Road.
She waited for the results from Saturday, the following day until Wednesday, July 22, when one, Florence, who works at the screening centre, called to say she (Sarimoi) was positive.
Florence advised Sarimoi to continue isolating, and that a doctor would visit her on that same day.
The Coronavirus victim has not seen a doctor as promised and as we went to press today July 25, she was still isolating herself and eating eggs.
“I am here in my house and do not know what will happen next. My daughter has not been tested, but live in her room. We mingled together until I was told I am sick,” said Sarimoi.
She said she has been sourcing for information on internet on how to survive and has been consuming a lot of garlic, lemons and eggs. “I do not know how long I will continue like this,” said a worried Sarimoi.
We called the county’s director of medical services, Dr Ezekiel Kapkoni, who also got surprised as to why the patient was let to go home.
“Get us her contact so that I find out why she has not been visited by a doctor,” requested Kapkoni.
Kapkoni spoke as more than 50 workers from EPZA were taken to Ngong Hospital for screening after they were suspected to have contracted COVID-19 in Kitengela town.
Eye-witnesses said two buses full of patients arrived in Ngong on Saturday, July 25 in the afternoon.
Kapkoni also confirmed the sick are residents of Kitengela but work at the Athi River’s EPZA.