News

NLC Pledges Settlement Of Nkorroi Property Demolition Compensation

Governor Joseph Lenku when he toured Nkorroi, Ongata Rongai on June 20.

Victims of property in ongoing demolition in Nkorroi, Kajiado, to pave way for the construction of Standard Gauge Railway will be paid Friday.

Governor Joseph Lenku and Kajiado North MP Joseph Manje on Thursday morning confirmed and said they have conveyed to the affected families the same information.

“It pains us see the demolition happens without even a notice. We support the SGR project but a little courtesy would have saved the losses incurred by the families,” said Governor Lenku.

Manje said the land commission had promised money any time from Thursday to Friday.

“We have agreed they expedite the payments. This is now on course. We urge the families to be a little patient,” said Manje.
Several families found themselves in the cold at the onset of the demolition that has been going on for the last several days on family homes under tight security.

One family in Merisho will be forced to exhume two of their kin and bury them elsewhere to enable the project to continue to the next level.

Lenku visited and consoled the family of Charles Ngugi for the unfortunate turn of events and said they would get all the support they needed.

The NLC had said earlier in the week compensation for residents in Nkorroi, Ongata Rongai, whose houses were demolished would begin on Tuesday.

This was after the residents accompanied by area MP Manje met officials of the commission on Monday amid claims that they were never given any notice to pave way for the SGR.

At the meeting with NLC officials, affected residents, who watched in disbelief as their biggest investments were crushed to rubble, complained of what they say were inhumane evictions from their home.

“The government should have been humane by not destroying the property. We should not be saying we want to make houses for our people then, on the other hand, destroy them,” said Manje.

One of the solutions settled on in the consultations was that compensation will resume on Tuesday but by Thursday no one had been paid.

In the solution given, residents would be grouped under priority group and with properties valued at below Sh10 million, while those whose properties are worth Sh10 million and above would have to wait until next week, said Fidelis Mburu, Director Valuation NLC.

At least 12 households are not yet sure if and when they will be compensated as NLC officers told them that their parcels of lands are disputed, hence, warranting further investigation and renewed valuation

 

Comments

comments

%d bloggers like this: