Kitengela police are investigating a source of a letter calling for a demonstration against the government’s failure to provide essential services.
The local police in Kitengela initiated investigations on Saturday after a section of Bunge la Mwanainchi members disowned the letter purported to have been signed by their secretary.
They said the letter calling for demonstrations and blockage on Athi River/Namanga the road is bordering on incitement.
The letter which was released to journalists on April 15, and signed by Emmanuel Pepela, was disowned by two members at a press conference in Kitengela town on Saturday.
Bunge la Mwanainchi secretary general, Kassim Suleiman, told newsmen the purported position of secretary does not exist and that he does not know any member going by the name Pepela.
“That is a fake name used in the letter to spoil the name of Kitengela Bunge la Mwanainchi. We called off the activities of the group in 2017 after the general election and most of our officials are spread all over the country and are not in Kitengela,” said Suleiman.
Suleiman was in the company of another member, Joseph Ontita, who claimed his position at Bunge la Mwanainchi is a sergeant at arms.
At the same time, Kitengela Boda Boda Association also denied during the same conference that it is not part of the planned strike against the provision of services.
The letter that was purportedly addressed to Kitengela police as a notification of an intended demonstration slated for April 25, had indicated it has the support of Bunge la Mwanainchi, Boda Boda operators, small scale traders and residents.
On Saturday, representatives of the mentioned groups except those representing Kitengela market traders denied involvement in the demos that would have started from Kitengela town to county assembly in Kajiado town (some 46 km away).
An elder, Joseph Mou, said no resident had been consulted over the intended demonstration.
Speaking during the same press conference, elders Nathan Kiprop, Beatrice Kerubo, Richard Ongoma and Beatrice Wangombe appealed for peace in Kitengela and accused certain people, they did not name for politicizing issues touching on the new construction of the local market.
Kiprop called on the county government to relocate traders at the old Kitengela market to a new site in a peaceful manner. The call came a day after a section of traders claimed the relocation planned by the county government is allegedly “ill-bent”.
Kerubo claimed those refusing to pave way for a new market construction are planning to cause chaos. “We are not ready for another bloody skirmish like the one we had in September 2015, when several people lost lives and others were maimed,” said Kerubo.
Ongoma said the people of Kitengela are peaceful and love cohesion. “We need to understand those who are in our midst so that we can curb issues that can blow up into chaos,” Ongoma said.
Governor Joseph Lenku on Friday announced his government has set aside Sh40 million for the construction of a new Kitengela market.