Kajiado county public service board has suspended its recruitment drive after MCAs claimed the exercise was docked with nepotism and corruption.
In a letter dated July, 9 addressed to the county assembly clerk, the board’s secretary, Moses Semera, said he had taken note of the report of the House committee on public service, administration and citizen participation seeking the disbandment of the exercise.
Semera, however, insisted that short listing of the applicants was conducted in accordance with applicable law.
He said the board suspended the recruitment and interviews so it can seek external legal advice to enable it an informed position on the matter.
As the board takes leave to contact their independent legal advisors, MCAs have ganged up with members of public to ensure all its members are sent packing for allegedly promoting clanism and favourism against Public Officer Ethics Act.
MCAs, on Thursday last week, unanimously voted against the short listing of job applicants citing alleged anomalies of favourism and clanism in the process.
The board had shortlisted 463 out of 740 applicants for various jobs earlier advertised.
The vote by the county assembly last week followed public outcry on the short listing. The youth and local populace took to social media to highlight the irregularities.
The leaders were reacting to a county assembly report tabled in the House earlier on Thursday last week when the House committee claimed the short listing of job seekers was a sham.
Chairing the session at the assembly, deputy speaker, Joseph Masiaya, said the matter is of public interest. He said the process by the CPSB is a “sham”.
Earlier on that Thursday, according to the assembly hansard report, the sectoral committee on public service, administration and citizen participation of the House chaired by MCA Peter Parsen grilled the county public service board chairman, John Ole Moyaki and two commissioners; Joseph Nailole and Wilson Tonkei, whose submissions, he said, failed to convince the Committee.
Parsen moved the motion in the House seeking the withdrawal of the shortlisted candidates, which he said; “fell short of the legal requirement”.
The nine member committee called on the board to initiate a new process for short-listing of candidates to the advertised positions and comply with all constitutional and statutory requirements.
Justus Ngossor (Ewuaso Oonkidong’i) said there was lack of inclusivity in the selection.
“In my Ward one clan got 99 per cent of the slots in the list. This is discriminatory and complete lack of inclusivity as required by the law,” said Ngossor.
Ildamat MCA, Samuel Teum and nominated MCA Mario Sandra sought to know why the board’s consideration of the minority tribes was not factored in the process.
“The board has failed to convince us on how one tribe becomes a minority in such a cosmopolitan county. ” said Teum.
Henry Kimiti (Kenyewa/Poka) said the board was likely to have been arm-twisted by some leaders with vested interest to break the law in the short-listing process.
“It is surprising that the board had to be coerced into allowing some county executive committee members to reward cronies for political gains,” said Kimiti in the assembly.
“The list failed to factor in the people with disabilities, the law requires that 5 per cent of employees be PWDs but this was not the case and only one person was shortlisted,” argued Nominated MCA Josephine Sharaar.
The board chair appealed to the assembly to allow it complete the work arguing the names do not identify the tribes or the minority.
The action of the Assembly means that the county employer will have to cancel the whole process as they work hard to redeem their image.