Provincial administrations put the total number of deaths at eight in the Kandisi River flood tragedy in Ongata Rongai that occurred on Thursday night.
County Commissioner David Kipkemei said on Friday afternoon, “So far we have retrieved 8 bodies for three women and five men who were unfortunately carried away by floods after the Thursday night mishap”.
Kipkemei said 8 are the official numbers owing to the fact that that a child said to have been spotted floating along the river had not been found.
“Take it from me that officially, the number of the dead so far is 8. We will inform you of any new development on the same as we get more details and other bodies from downstream,” said Kipkemei after police and volunteers combed the area along the Kandisi River.
Kipkemei said he has instructed the police to hunt down a contractor who designed and built Kandisi Bridge so as to record statement about what he termed; “shoddy work”.
“We are blaming whoever constructed that bridge because had he/she bothered to put up the rails, we could have at least saved lives,” said the commissioner.
Eye witnesses on Thursday night had told KNU the 10pm floods that burst the Kandisi River and that swept the bridge found ten people crossing it but seven of them managed to swim to safety as three who had hanged on were swept away.
On Friday, it emerged that several houses along the Kandisi River were also swept away by raging floods but it was not immediately known how many people fell victims.
“The search is going on and whoever spots a body can report to the nearest police station of chief’s office in your area,” Kipkemei told the area residents.
Kipkemei urged the people of the county to desist crossing flooded streams and rivers, and especially at night.
The Thursday night incident happened barely a day after three people died in a landslide in Kajiado West sub county on Wednesday.